butternut squash hash

I used to be a total sucker for sweet breakfasts, so I really started skipping them in general as I got older (and had to stop eating frosted mini wheats for breakfast every morning). Oh, and Pop-Tarts? Don't even get me started. Now that we're living a healthier lifestyle (at least as much as possible), I've embraced the savory breakfast with open arms. 

I had some extra roasted butternut squash after an aborted attempted at another recipe, plus a couple of peppers in the fridge, so I threw together this butternut squash hash (because, as I said, I could eat butternut squash every single day).

Ingredients

1.5-2 cups butternut squash,* sliced into small, inch-long pieces
1 cup red & green pepper, diced
1/2 cup white onion, diced
3-4 slices of market style bacon (I love the bacon from Fresh Market), trimmed of some, but not all, fat, and cut into small pieces
4 eggs
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt, plus salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
dash of cinnamon
dash of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil

*For the roasted butternut squash, slice the ends off of two squash and peel the shaft. Lightly brush each with olive oil. I left the shaft intact, and baked on 400 for 45 minutes, flipping at the halfway point.
 Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium. Add the peppers and onions and cook until fragrant and slightly tender (I added salt to the peppers and onions), about 5 minutes. Then add the bacon. As the peppers, onion, and bacon cooks, whisk together the eggs, paprika, garlic powder, sea salt, cinnamon, and cayenne. Add the butternut squash to the pan. Since I made mine the night before, I cooked it for about 5 minutes before adding the eggs. I wanted it to heat up and slightly brown, but not overcook. Add in the eggs and cook for another 5 minutes or so, or until the eggs are completely done.





No comments:

Post a Comment