thanksgiving chili




Who doesn't love Thanksgiving leftovers? After friendsgiving, we had more than enough tryptophan to last us a few days. However, since we kicked sandwiches to the curb in our attempt to remain grain-free, I needed to find something else to do with all of that leftover turkey.
A couple of years ago, my law school roommate sent me a recipe for pumpkin chili, which inspired this legume-free chili.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
Half of a red onion
Half of a green pepper
Half of a red pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 qt chicken broth
3 cans pumpkin
1 roasted delicata squash (rind removed, puréed)
26 oz box Pom strained tomatoes
2 tablespoons chili powder (I'm obsessed with Penzeys Chili 9000)
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup celery (about 4 stalks) chopped
Leftover turkey (I used most of what I had left, including dark meat, about 1-1.5 lbs)

In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium. Add the onion and peppers and sauté until slightly tender {about 5-7 minutes}. Next, add in the garlic and sauté for another minute before adding in the chicken broth, pumpkin, strained tomatoes, and squash. Stir until thoroughly combined. Add the remaining ingredients and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook for another 25 minutes.

This is my favorite way to use some of the leftovers from Thanksgiving. I hope your Thanksgiving is full of love and laughter (and that you have plenty of leftovers!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment