pulled pork lettuce wraps


I've always had a weakness for tacos (one of my husband's favorite stories from when we first started dating involves a late-night trip to... Taco Bell). When I get a real craving for Mexican cuisine, I throw paleo to the wind and head to Miguel's. But when I'm trying to stick to our healthier lifestyle (which right now is always), I make "lettuce wraps" to get real tacos out of my head.

I used the slow cooker (one of my favorite kitchen items) to make the pulled pork. This is an inexpensive, easy weeknight meal to make during this busy time of year.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 white onion sliced
5 cloves of garlic, smashed
1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 pork rib chops (ours were about 1.25 lbs), rinsed, patted dry, and lightly salted
bibb lettuce (for the wrap)
garnish with chopped red onion, avocado, and cilantro (and fresh jalapenos if you need some spice)

Place the olive oil, onions, and garlic in the bottom of your slow cooker. Combine the remaining ingredients (except the pork, lettuce and your chosen garnish), in a separate bowl and mix together. Place the pork over the onions and garlic, then pour the spiced vinegar mixture over the pork. Add the water at the end. Cook on low for 8 hours. For the last hour, pull the pork apart and let it cook in the juices.

To make the wrap, top a piece of lettuce with avocado, red onion, and cilantro, then add the pork.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment