not-fried fish sticks


If memory serves me correctly, we never had fish sticks {the frozen ones} at my house growing up. Unfortunately, I've always enjoyed fried fish {fried anything, for that matter}. Every now and then I get an undeniable craving for fried deliciousness. Inspired by a recipe from Against All Grain, I avoided my Chic-fil-a cravings and made a few fish sticks.

Ingredients
1 fresh fish filet (I used a redfish; swordfish, mahi or grouper would substitute perfectly)
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch of black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
olive oil or egg whites (to dredge fish through)
1 cup shredded coconut 

Preheat the oven to 375. Mix the coconut flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Slice the filet into strips and dip into the coconut flour mixture. Dip into either the egg or olive oil, then into the coconut. 

I used a le creuset baking dish but a baking sheet lined with parchment paper would probably be a better choice {I forgot to buy parchment paper the last two trips}. Bake for 4 minutes, then flip and bake another four minutes. For the last 2-4 minutes, turn the oven to broil. 

Just in case you were thinking of buying the frozen fish sticks at the store, I highly recommend against it. Usually they're "minced" fish, or random parts mushed together to make one "delicious" stick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment