marinara sauce




I've always loved marinara sauce. When I was younger, I frequently requested angel hair and marinara. Even my favorite part of cheese sticks was the marinara sauce. On pasta nights at my sorority house, I'd cover broccoli in marinara sauce, since I usually preferred my carbs in liquid form back then.

Obviously, opening up a jar of marinara is the easiest way to get your lycopene cravings under control. However, the jarred versions usually have sugar, preservatives, and "natural flavors" {what are those?!}. I promise this version is really easy to whip up, and I could probably just eat it with a spoon if my husband thought that was normal. I served it with zoodles using my fancy new spiral slicer {it's not that fancy}.



You'll need:

1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 small white onion diced
1 26 oz. box strained tomatoes (I use Pomi)
1 can tomato paste (be sure to check the label and make sure tomatoes are the only ingredient)
5 large, fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
pepper to taste

In a sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then add the onion. After the onion is fragrant and translucent {approx. 5-7 minutes}, add the remaining ingredients. Cook over medium-low, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment