crepes


Speaking of Paris, I have to confess the croissants and crepes are two of my favorite things in the city. Unfortunately, a standard crepe requires all purpose flour and sugar, both of which I try my best to avoid. After I was informed the crepe recipe in Against All Grain was actually quite simple, I decided to give it a go.

I made a few adjustments because the first batch was a bit too coconutty and eggy for us, and liked this concoction a bit better

Check the fridge and pantry for:

6 free range eggs
1 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons walnut oil
1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
3 tablespoons coconut flour

Plus: spray coconut oil for the pan





Whip together the milk and eggs, then add in the remainder of the ingredients. I do not enjoy sifting and used the whip attachment on my immersion blender to avoid that step. Whip until well-mixed and all of the lumps are gone. Let the batter sit for about 10 minutes, then whip again.



If you are lucky enough to have a crepe maker, then you know what to do. For the rest of us, lightly spray an enameled pan with the coconut oil and heat on medium-low. After a couple of minutes {you want to make sure the pan is hot enough, I inevitably ruin the first one every.single.time}, add 1/4 cup to the pan - I did this in a circular motion to get a crepe-like shape. You may want to swirl the pan {apparently I have no upper arm strength because I find my le creuset to be a bit heavy for that} or use a spatula to quickly spread the batter out. Cook for 1-3 minutes on the first side, or until you feel like you can flip it, then cook for maybe 1 minute on the other side.


Although my crepes are not as thin and beautiful as the French version, I had to skip dinner on Sunday after eating almost an entire batch with melted ghee. So good. Other great toppings {tested and approved}: almond butter with banana; ghee with coconut sugar and cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment