wheat-free wednesday.


In all honesty, other than the occasional slip up via cookie or pizza, every day is wheat-free. I do understand, however, not everyone shares my trepidation over wheat. Luckily for them, wheat is one of the crops that remains non-GMO here in the good ole US of A. We have Japan to thank for that {seriously}. As I said before, bread is still one of my favorite foods, so I've been re-working some tried-and-tested recipes to fit our cravings. Not to mention this keeps my husband from loathing me for taking away his Apple Jacks {true story}.

The first time I made banana bread I followed the recipe from Elana's Pantry {as I've said, one of my favorite recipe-based websites}.  Even then, I had to make an adjustment because I do not keep coconut sugar at home and can't say I've ever seen it in the grocery store {I also can't say I've looked for it}.  The only adjustment I made was switching the coconut sugar for organic cane sugar. This time, I ventured out a bit further (still using the same base ingredients):

1 cup blanched almond flour
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
2 tablespoons local raw honey
1 cup very ripe bananas mashed {yes, the brown ones you're debating throwing out}
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350F. Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In a second bowl, combine the eggs, coconut oil, and honey. Then stir in the bananas and the cinnamon. Combine all ingredients and stir until completely combined.

Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil {I use the ever convenient spray kind and just ignore the fact it contains soy against my better judgment}.  Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for an hour. Let the bread cool for about an hour before serving {unless you're husband is home, then that probably won't happen}.




sweet treat left out for my traveling husband 

No comments:

Post a Comment