toast.


One of my favorite snacks when I loved bread was toast with butter {loved is inappropriately used; of course I love -present tense- bread, but it is not just the carbs which forced its excommunication from my grocery list}. Or toast with peanut butter. Or toast with jam. Since kicking that delicious white {and whole wheat} bread to the curb, I've tried a few gluten {and corn} free bread recipes. [You'll find that "gluten free" recipes often contain corn...] Some were disastrous. I'm pretty sure one un-cooked overnight, which I didn't even know was possible {I think that may have been baker's error, not the recipe}. I've also tried my own substitutions (1/4 c of applesauce for an egg, etc.), but sticking to this recipe has proven successful every time. 

This recipe was conveniently emailed to me via Gwen Paltrow's enticing blog/newsletter, goop, and then I realized it was an updated version of the recipe from one of my favorite paleo friendly recipe blogs, elana's pantry. {Note: when I have tried the original recipe, it just does not bake enough and is quite mushy. The 1.5 t of baking soda is the way to go in my opinion.}

Dry ingredients:
1.5 cups blanched almond flour
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal
1/4 teaspoon celtic sea salt
1.5 teaspoons aluminum free baking soda

I purchase my almond flour, coconut flour, and golden flaxseed meal from Nuts.com

Wet ingredients:
5 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil - melted
1 tablespoon honey*
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Spray coconut oil for the loaf pan.

*I don't like to measure this out or put in a full tablespoon - it gets a bit too sweet. I just give the honey a good squeeze...


Preheat oven to 350. Combine all dry ingredients and either whisk together or pulse together in your food processor (I usually pulse together in my food processor; it's easier). Then add in the eggs, coconut oil, honey, and apple cider vinegar and pulse in the food processor until evenly combined. Lightly grease the loaf pan and pour in the dough. {Most recipes call for a 7.5x3.5 pan. I refuse to use aluminum bakeware, so I do not have one of these... which is why my bread is much shorter and less pretty than this one.} 

Bake for 35-40 minutes. I usually bake for 35 minutes, then leave in the oven for 30 minutes {or longer if I completely forget about the bread...}

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment