Ground Turkey with Collard Greens and Garlic Mashed "Potatoes"

After a fun Monday at the office, I especially enjoy coming home and cooking a full meal - followed by a delightful dish washing session {usually left to C, who is so much better at it than I am ;) }. In reality, a one or two pan meal is a lifesaver: less work, less clean-up, more relaxation. Not only is this dish quick and easy, it cheaply feeds two and occasionally will leave a bit of leftovers for lunch the next day.


We made it with cauliflower mash this time, but I frequently let this dish stand alone because it's usually plenty. I used to hate collard greens, but only because they always looked greasy and were accompanied by bacon. Now, this leafy green is one of my favorites.


Ingredients
1/4 onion diced
Pinch of crushed red pepper
1.5 teaspoon cumin
1 lb ground turkey
1 bunch collard greens, cut into strips
2 tablespoons almond oil
1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt

Take the turkey out of the fridge so that it is closer to room temperature when you cook it. Heat almond oil on medium in a large skillet {I used a Le Creuset cast iron skillet - best gift EVER}. Add the diced onion and crushed red pepper. Sauté until the onions are transparent.  Crumble in the turkey, adding salt {I used a pinch here and a pinch when I added the collard greens}, and the cumin. After the turkey has browned through, add in the collard greens {due to the size of my pan, I added small handfuls at a time, but if you have a larger pan, you can add it all in at once}.  Give the mix another 5-7 minutes or until the collard greens are cooked to your liking.

For the Garlic Mashed "Potatoes"
1 head cauliflower
3 large garlic cloves
1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
1/2 tablespoon organic ghee
Pepper to taste

Chop the cauliflower into florets and toss into a steamer with the garlic cloves for about 10 minutes. Remove from the steamer and let the water drain out for a couple of minutes before putting the cauliflower+garlic cloves in a food processor along with the salt and ghee. Blend.

When I served this recipe to my dad, he had no idea he wasn't eating potatoes. Now, this is my dish of choice to bring to family dinners, so I can sneak in some extra veggies.



Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment